The nearest emergency department is the Pickerington Medical Campus on Refugee Rd. (directions) This is also where the team physician, Dr. LeMay of MAX Sports Medicine, has his office on the 2nd floor as well as the physical therapy/rehabilitation department. https://www.ohiohealth.com/
For orthopedic surgical referrals, SportsMedicine Grant has an office in Pickerington on Hill Rd. http://smgoa.com/where-we-are/
OhioHealth makes it possible for Madison Christian athletes and their family to access medical services within 24-48 hours. If you need help with a referral or making an appointment, please contact your Athletic Trainer OR call the 24/7 hotline at 614.566.GAME to speak with an OhioHealth Athletic Trainer if you need help locating a facility or getting an appointment.
Concussion Return To Play Protocol
- Once an athlete is diagnosed with a concussion by a Certified Athletic Trainer or other qualified medical personnel, the athlete should be seen by a physician, preferably a concussion specialist. Call (614)566-GAME(4263) for referral help.
- After being cleared by a physician to start the return to play progression AND being symptom free for 24 hours, athlete may begin Day 1. Only one “day” may be completed at a time and that should be the only activity performed on that day. If there are any return of symptoms, the athlete must start over at Day 1 once they are again symptom free for 24 hours. Each day before beginning activity, athlete should be questioned about their symptoms to determine if they can progress to the next step. Athlete’s progress should be noted daily on the Concussion Return to Play Five Day Progression Note.
- Day 1: Light Aerobic Activity: At least 20 minutes, Non Jarring, Non Impact, Closed Chain: Biking, Elliptical, Swimming, Walking
- Day 2: Moderate Aerobic Activity: Jogging, body weight exercises, at least 20 minutes
- Day 3: Intense Cardio Activity: At least 1 hour, Sprinting, Light Weight Lifting and Non-Contact Drilling
- Day 4: Full Practice: Full Gear light Contact, at least 1 hour
- Day 5: Full Go: released – Athlete may return to full activity
Once diagnosed with a concussion, the athlete MUST complete the 5 day return to play progression even if they are cleared by a physician to return to full activity.
Helpful links for parents: